|Length, overall, mm||
|Barrel length, mm||
|Magazine capacity, rounds||
|Rate of fire, rounds per minute||
The Shpagin PPSh-2 submachine gun was developed by Gerorgij Shpagin during early 1942 to fill requirements, issued by GAU (General Artillery Department of the Red Army General staff) for a new submachine gun, which should be handier, lighter and more compact than then-standard PPSh-41 submachine gun of his own design. The PPSh-2 participated in the 3rd round of trials that were held at NIPSVO (Red Army Scientific and Research Proving Ground for Small arms), and came a close second after the Sudaev submachine gun, which later was adopted as PPS-42. Despite the trials report, D.Ustinov, Commissar (Minister) for Armament production, believed that PPSh-2 was superior to PPS-42 in terms of manufacturing simplicity and maintenance, while being more or less equivalent to it in terms of combat effectiveness. As a result, Ustinov ordered production of a small batch (200-250 guns) of PPSh-2 for field trials, but in the end GAU preferred the PPS-42, and PPSh-2 soon faded into the obscurity.
The PPSh-2 submachine gun is a simple blowback operated weapon, firing from open bolt, in full automatic mode only. Most parts are made from stamped and formed sheet steel. Manual safety is provided in the form of hinged dust-cover that has small cut-outs for bolt handle. When dust cover is closed, bolt with its handle is locked in either forward or rearward position. Feed is from double stack detachable box magazines. Early PPSh-2 prototypes featured wooden pistol grip and detachable wooden shoulder stock, which was later replaced with retractable stamped steel shoulder stock. Barrel was fitted with muzzle jump compensator.