Select a country producer
Beretta PM 12 and PM 12s submachine gun (Italy)
Caliber: 9x19mm Luger/Para
Weight: 3.2 kg empty
Length (stock closed/open): 418 / 660 mm
Barrel length: 200 mm
Rate of fire: 550 rounds per minute
Magazine capacity: 20 , 32 or 40 cartridges
Effective range: 150-200 meters
Famous Italian arms-making company Beretta developed and manufactured a variety of submachine guns since the end of WW1. During the early 1950s, recognizing the need for a compact submachine gun,Beretta initiated a series of developments, which commenced with prototype Model6 submachine gun of 1953. This weapon employed a stamped steel construction, afolding butt and a L-shaped bolt, most of which mass was located above the barrel. The basic layout of the future weapon was developed by 1957 with prototype Model 10 submachine gun, and final Model 12 emerged in 1958.Production of the new submachine gun commenced in 1959, and in 1961 it was officially adopted by Italian government. It was also widely exported, andmanufacturing licenses were sold to Brazil and Indonesia. During early 1980s the basic design was improved with the introduction of the Model 12S submachine gun,which had improved safety arrangement and several other minor changes. Model12S, also known as PM 12S (Pistola Mitralligica, or machine pistol), isstill being manufactured in Italy and Indonesia, and is widely used by European and many other police and security forces.
Beretta Model 12 submachine gun is blowback operated, selectively-fired weapon that fires from open bolt. The boltis of telescoped design, and most of its weight is located in front of the breech face. Tubular receiver is made from steel stampings, with stamped steelt rigger and magazine housing below. Original PM 12 / Model 12 submachine guns featured separate manual safety and fire mode selector, both being made in the form of the cross-bolt buttons. Additionally, there was an automated grip safety below the trigger guard. On PM 12S submachine guns, manual safety and fire modeselector were united into one three-position lever, located above the left grippanel. Automated grip safety was retained. The furniture included polymer front grip and a side-folding metallic buttstock. early Model 12 guns also could befitted with detachable wooden buttstock.