Select a country producer
DUX Model 1953 and 1959 submachine gun (Germany / Spain)
|DUX M53||DUX M59|
|Caliber||9x19mm Luger / Parabellum|
|Weight||3.5 kg empty||3 kg empty|
|Length (stock closed/open)||615 / 825 mm||580 / 790 mm|
|Barrel length||250 mm||250 mm|
|Rate of fire||500 rounds per minute||550 rounds per minute|
|Magazine capacity||50 rounds||32 or 40 rounds|
The DUX Model 53 submachine gun was an interesting 'international' design. It has its roots in the Soviet Sudaev PPS-43 submachine gun, which was copied in Finland as Tikkakoski M/44, with some modifications (including change of caliber to 9mm and adaptation to use Suomi-type magazines). As the World War 2 ended, the designer of the Tikkakoski M/44, someone Willi Daughs, fled from Finland to Spain, taking along some plans and documentation for the aforementioned submachine gun. In Spain he managed to re-create the weapon, which was first produced in around 1951 as the DUX Model 1951. Few of these submachine guns were tested by West German Border guard (Bundesgrenzschutz), and subsequently adopted. DUX Model 1953 submachine guns were built for Germany in Spain, at Oviedo arsenal. During mid- and late 1950s, DUX submachine guns were modified by several German companies and tested by German Army (Bundeswehr), and this resulted in production of the final weapon in DUX series, the DUX model 1959, which was designed and manufactured in limited numbers by famous German gun-making company Anschütz.
DUX submachine guns are simple blowback operated, full-automatic only weapons that fire from open bolt. Receivers and barrel jackets are formed from stamped steel and welded. DUX M53 submachine gun had cocking handle on the right side, while DUX M59 has cocking handle on the left side. DUX M53 had PPS-43 style safety, located in front of the trigger guard, while M59 had a sliding safety switch on the left side of the receiver, above the pistol grip. DUX model 1953 submachine guns used Suomi-type 50-round 4-stack box magazines, while DUX Model 1959 used proprietary curved box magazines with 32 or 40 rounds capacity. Both versions used top-folding metallic buttstocks made from stamped steel, and L-shaped flip-up rear sights set for 100 or 200 meters.